Saturday 6 April 2013

Guwahati, Assam

I said goodbye to Jenny at Delhi Airport, she flew home and I flew to Guwahati, the capital of the state of Assam, in North Eastern India. This is where I hope to find my Great Grandfather's grave (see earlier posts), in a village called Kalaigaon, about 3 hours' drive from here.

Because of the militants active in this area (at least, according to a guy from the local AirTel office) mobile phone roaming doesn't work here, so I'm offline except for sporadic Wi-Fi, until or unless the local SIM I've bought gets activated. This is an odd situation for me, as I've not been without a working mobile phone since about 1990! To be honest, I don't like it one bit... I wish I could have brought my satphone, but they're banned in India.

I'm writing this post from the local branch of Café Coffee Day, a little haven of peace we found everywhere we've been so far. The photo is the view from the veranda at the front of the café, over an artificial lake here in Guwahati.

Tomorrow I'm going to Kalaigaon for the day.


1 comment:

  1. Welcome Paul. We the people of Assam,specially of Kalaigaon are happy that you could at last stand over the grave (covered with soil) of your great grand father Hamilton Charles Gordon,(who was cremated here on 3rd February in 1917) at Singrimari tea garden on April 7,2013 at 2 PM. We share your feelings and pray God to rest your great grand father's soul in peace. Jayanta Kumar Das & family

    ReplyDelete